20221012 Hong Kong Tax updates 2022
This seminar will cover the latest developments in Hong Kong tax legislation and tax cases in the past year. The speakers will share with the participants their insights on these developments and their implications on their businesses.
- Legislative developments:
– The proposed refined foreign source income exemption (FSIE) regime
– Tax concession for shipping-related activities
– Proposed tax concession for family-owned investment holding vehicles
- Case law development:
– Newfair Holdings Limited v Commissioner of Inland Revenue – whether booked trading profits are subject to Hong Kong profits tax?
– John Wiley & Sons UK2 LLP and Wiley International LLC v Collector of Stamp Revenue – whether limited liability partnerships, not having “issued share capital” like that of a company with limited liability, are entitled to intra-group stamp duty relief?
– Heath Brian Zarin v CIR – whether bonus shares received upon termination of employment and per diem for post-employment assistance to former employer subject to Hong Kong salaries tax?
– CIR v Patrick Lo Wa Ming Patrick – what is the appropriate method of apportionment for calculating exempted income for the purposes of section 8(1A)(c)?