- This event has passed.
20220822 Going public via Hong Kong SPAC listings? A snapshot on the related financial and tax considerations
In the past two years, the strong growth momentum of listings special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs) in the US has drawn much market attention, especially among investors and companies planning to go public. The new SPAC listing regime in Hong Kong have also caught widespread attention.
The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong released its consultation conclusions and new rules for a listing regime for SPACs on 17 December 2021 as part of efforts to elevate Hong Kong’s leadership as an international fundraising center. This landmark reform provides an additional fundraising and investment opportunity for companies and investors.
Since the commencement of Hong Kong’s new SPAC listing regime on 1 January 2022, the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong has accepted six SPAC listing applications with some targeted at acquiring businesses in new economy sectors including green energy, life science and health care. The SPAC listing regime in Hong Kong has been described as being more premium than other such regimes and targets a niche of investors and companies to ensure quality listings with more safeguards.
In this live webinar, the speakers will:
- Provide an overview of SPACs and explain the benefits to SPAC investors, promoters and target companies
- Compare the regime between HK and US SPACs
- Review the recent SPAC market in Hong Kong and its outlook;
- Share common considerations for financial reporting of SPACs in Hong Kong; and
- Elaborate common tax considerations during the de-SPAC process.